Are you an avid kayaker who loves to spend their weekends paddling on the water? Have you ever come back to your car after a long day on the lake, only to find that your kayak is missing? Kayak theft is a common occurrence, and it can happen anywhere, whether you’re in a busy city or a secluded lake. It’s important to take precautions to keep your kayak safe and secure. In this article, we will discuss the reasons behind kayak theft, how to secure your kayak, and the best type of lock to use to protect your kayak from being stolen.
Why are kayaks stolen?
Kayak theft is a lucrative business, and thieves often target kayaks because they are expensive and easy to resell. Kayaks are also portable, and it’s not uncommon for kayakers to leave their kayaks unattended for extended periods while they explore the surrounding area. This provides thieves with the perfect opportunity to steal a kayak. Additionally, kayaks are often stolen for joyriding purposes or vandalism.
How to secure your kayak
The first step to keeping your kayak safe is to ensure that it is out of sight. If you’re leaving your kayak on the roof of your car, try to park in a well-lit area or cover the kayak with a tarp or blanket. Thieves are less likely to target a kayak that is not easily visible.
The second step is to secure your kayak with a lock. There are several types of kayak locks available on the market, including cable locks, chain locks, and lasso locks. Cable locks are similar to bike locks and are easy to carry around. Chain locks are heavier and more durable, but they can be difficult to transport. Lasso locks are specifically designed for kayaks and are the most secure type of lock to use.
Locking your Kayaks on a Car
Most of the time, kayaks are fixed on top of the roof rack of a car, so security measures should start from there. Cable locks are the best choice in this case. In this section, we’ll guide you through the steps of installing a Lasso Lock, which is among the easier ones to set up.
Here’s how you do it:
Step 1: Set up the combination lock
Before you start, you need to set up a combination for the combination lock. Here’s how:
- Line up the guide point with 0-0-0-0.
- Pull the locks apart. If the guide point is perfectly lined up, the cable should come apart easily.
- Push down the reset dial until you hear a click.
- Choose your desired combination by lining it at the guide point.
- Return the reset dial to its original position by flipping the setting button back up until it clicks again.
- Register the new combination by inserting the lock post all the way without turning the dial. Remove the lock post, and your lock is good to go.
Step 2: Install the Lasso Lock on your kayak
After the combination lock is ready, you can start installing the lock on your kayak. Here’s how it works:
- Secure your kayak on top of the roof rack. Be sure to lock your roof rack on the vehicle.
- Loop each Lasso end around the bow and the stern of your kayak (always leave the cable running beneath the kayak).
- Now you can freely wrap the cable around either bar of the roof rack for extra security and complication, but remember not to get the cable all mixed up, as you might have a hard time taking the kayak off the roof rack later!
- Pull both lassos as close to the middle section of the kayak as possible to tighten the lock.
- Finally, just insert the combination lock, and your kayak is safe and sound!
- Remember to check if the combination lock is correct before each use!
It’s that simple! By following these steps, you can have peace of mind knowing that your kayak is secure while traveling.
How to choose a lock for your kayak
When choosing a lock for your kayak, thousands of lock options available, it can be difficult to choose the right type of lock for you. Here are some factors to consider when buying a cable lock:
The material of the lock is an essential factor to consider. The most common materials used for kayak locks are steel, titanium, and braided steel. Steel locks are durable and strong, but they can rust over time. Titanium locks are lightweight and resistant to corrosion, but they are also more expensive. Braided steel locks are the most durable and resistant to cutting, but they can be heavy and cumbersome to transport.
The length of the lock is also an essential factor to consider. The longer the lock, the more secure your kayak will be. A lock that is too short will not provide enough coverage and can be easily cut. The ideal length for a kayak lock is around 16-18 feet.
The strength of the lock is also critical. The lock should be strong enough to withstand cutting or prying attempts. A strong lock will also deter thieves from attempting to steal your kayak. Look for locks that have been tested and rated for their strength, such as those that have been approved by Sold Secure or ART.
Lasso locks are the most secure type of lock to use for kayaks. They are specifically designed to fit around the kayak and provide full coverage. The lasso lock is made of braided steel, which makes it resistant to cutting attempts. The lock is also coated in vinyl to prevent scratching or damage to the kayak. The lasso lock is easy to use, simply loop the lock through the kayak and attach it to an anchor point. The lasso lock is also lightweight and easy to transport.
Other ways to secure your kayak
In addition to using a lock, there are other ways to secure your kayak.
Investing in a reliable kayak roof rack lock is a wise decision. Not only does it deter thieves, but it also gives you peace of mind while you’re away from your vehicle. With a variety of options available, it’s important to choose a lock that fits your roof rack and kayak size. By securing your kayak with a roof rack lock, you can focus on enjoying your adventure without worrying about the safety of your equipment.
One method is to remove the kayak from the roof of your car and store it in a garage or shed. This may not be possible for everyone, but it is a secure way to keep your kayak safe. If you’re unable to store your kayak indoors, consider investing in a kayak rack that can be attached to the outside of your home or garage. These racks can be locked and provide an additional layer of security.
Another way to secure your kayak is to use a GPS tracking device. These devices can be attached to your kayak and allow you to track its location in real-time. If your kayak is ever stolen, you can easily locate it and alert the authorities.
Finally, it’s important to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. If you notice any suspicious activity, report it to the authorities immediately. You can also join a community watch group or neighbourhood patrol to keep an eye on your area.
Secure Your Watercraft with a Kayak Locking Cable, Paddleboard Lock, or Canoe Lock
When it comes to securing your watercraft, a locking kayak cable is a smart investment. Not only does it deter potential thieves, but it also adds an extra layer of protection to keep your boat or board safe. To make it even more challenging for thieves, you can add a heavy chain to make it noisier and more difficult to steal. By making your watercraft more challenging to steal, you increase the chances that thieves will move on to easier targets.
Here are some extra tips to help you secure your watercraft:
- Choose a secure location: Always park your watercraft in a well-lit, high-traffic area where there are other boats or watercraft around. Thieves are less likely to target a busy location.
- Use multiple locks: Use more than one locking mechanism to secure your watercraft. For example, use a kayak locking cable and a paddleboard lock together to provide extra security.
- Lock your gear: Don’t forget to lock up your gear as well. Use a cable lock or combination lock to secure your paddle, life vest, and other accessories.
- Be prepared: Always carry a spare key or combination in case you lose your primary key or forget your combination.
- Follow manufacturer instructions: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a locking mechanism. Improper use could result in damage to your watercraft or ineffective security.
When using a locking mechanism, here’s how to secure your watercraft:
- Wrap the cable or chain around a secure object, such as a post or tree.
- Thread the cable or chain through the handle or securing point of your watercraft.
- Lock the cable or chain securely.
- Store your key or combination in a safe place.
Investing in a reliable kayak locking cable, paddleboard lock, or canoe lock is a smart decision to protect your watercraft investment. With these extra tips and how-to guide, you can feel confident that your watercraft is secure and protected.
Kayak theft is a common occurrence, but there are steps you can take to keep your kayak safe and secure. The first step is to ensure that your kayak is out of sight and not easily visible. The second step is to secure your kayak with a lock. Lasso locks are the most secure type of lock to use for kayaks, but there are other options available as well. It’s important to choose a lock that is made of durable material, is the right length, and has been rated for its strength. In addition to using a lock, consider other ways to secure your kayak, such as storing it indoors or using a GPS tracking device. By taking these precautions, you can enjoy your time on the water without worrying about the safety of your kayak.